In a recent article published by Manufacturing & Service Operations Management (M&SOM), Professor Morris Cohen (University of Pennsylvania’s The Wharton School) and Professor Hau Lee (Stanford University’s Graduate School of Business) discuss how research in Operations Management can support the development of strategies for the design and management of global supply chains. The article cites i) research on operational hedging developed first by Huchzermeier and Cohen (1996), ii) joint work on decisions for production off- and reshoring by multi-nationals that also appeared in M&SOM (Cohen et al. 2018) and iii) a worldwide study on global production sourcing (Cohen et al. 2016) as part of the WHU dissertation of Dr. Marc Steuber (2016) who also discusses risk-return tradeoffs from natural hedging (see also Steuber and Huchzermeier 2016, Cohen 2018).
1. Cohen, Morris A.; Lee, Hau L. (2019): Designing the Right Global Supply Chain Network. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, pubsonline.informs.org/doi/10.1287/msom.2019.0839
2. Cohen, Morris A. (2018): Want to Avoid a Trade War? Let Firms Do What Comes Naturally. Knowledge@Wharton, September 17, and knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/avoid-trade-war-letting-companies-comes-naturally/
3. Cohen, Morris A.; Cui, Shiliang; Ernst, Ricardo; Huchzermeier, Arnd; Kouvelis, Panos; Lee, Hau; Matsuo, Hiro; Steuber, Marc; Tsay, Andy (2018): OM Forum – Benchmarking Global Production Sourcing Decisions: Where and Why Firms Offshore and Reshore. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, (3)20, 389-402, and doi.org/10.1287/msom.2017.0666.
4. Cohen, Morris A.; Cui, Shiliang; Ernst, Ricardo; Huchzermeier, Arnd; Kouvelis, Panos; Lee, Hau; Matsuo, Hiro; Steuber, Marc; Tsay, Andy (2016): Off-, On- or Reshoring: Benchmarking of Current Manufacturing Location Decisions. The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, 79 p., and fishmandavidson.wharton.upenn.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/20160321-GSCBS-Final-Report1.pdf
5. Huchzermeier, Arnd; Cohen, Morris A. (1996): Valuing Operational Flexibility under Exchange Rate Risk. Operations Research (Special Issue on New Directions in Operations Management), 44(1), January-February, 100-113, and doi.org/10.1287/opre.44.1.100
6. Steuber, Marc (2016): Global Production Sourcing: A Benchmark Study on Managers’ Strategic Decisions. Unpublished Dissertation, WHU – Otto Beisheim School of Management, 148 p.
7. Steuber, Marc; Huchzermeier, Arnd (2016): Unraveling the Myth of Reshoring: Managers’ Strategic Decisions about Global Manufacturing Location. ssrn.com/abstract=3434278, 33 p.