For many nonprofit organizations, the need to maintain or expand their financial room for maneuver through fundraising has increased in recent years. Fundraising on social media, especially Facebook, is a new way to do this.
However, this new way of donating is still little explored and an unfamiliar channel for many organizations. As a result, some nonprofits in Germany are very skeptical about whether and how they should use this tool.
In a joint study with Fundraiser Magazine, Professor Dr. Christian Schlereth and Beatrice Martin investigated the use of Facebook fundraising and related questions such as
- What advantages or disadvantages would it have for German nonprofits to use this tool?
- What is the opinion of German professional fundraisers on this topic?
- How does this tool behave during a crisis?
The most important findings are:
- Only 30% of the nonprofits surveyed currently use Facebook fundraising. NGOs with a focus on health are the majority users of Facebook fundraisers.
- Nonprofits still appear to have a lack of or incomplete knowledge about how Facebook fundraisers work.
- Which individuals start a Facebook fundraiser for the nonprofit is more important than simply maximizing the number of individuals who initiate fundraisers.