WHU’s faculty members are a diverse team of academic experts, engaged in pioneering and dynamic research, fundamental to our mission of achieving excellence in management education.
Incorporating this cutting-edge research into the curriculum, many of our ever-increasing faculty also teach students at varying degree levels. WHU is at the forefront of innovation in management education, with our faculty of experts generating groundbreaking research and bringing hands-on, practical references to the classroom.
WHU is the only private German university that is a member of the German Research Foundation (DFG). This membership is a testament to our academics’ dedication to their profession. International connections complement our distinguished faculty with top practitioners from around the world, strengthening collaborations and relationships for continued excellence.
A growing faculty for dynamic research and development in education:
Dedicated to research –
Providing academic excellence.
At present, 40 professors are currently conducting high-quality research at WHU. Every member of our faculty is an international expert in their field, serving the academic world through innovative research collaboration projects:
- Professor Dr. Nihat Aktas - Chair of Mergers and Acquisitions
- Professor Dr. Christian Andres - Chair of Empirical Corporate Finance
- Professor Dr. Holger Ernst - Chair of Technology and Innovation Management
- Professor Dr. Dries Faems - Chair of Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Technological Transformation
- Professor Dr. Martin Fassnacht - The Otto Beisheim Endowed Chair of Marketing and Commerce
- Professor Dr. Ralf Fendel - Chair of Monetary Economics
- Professor Dr. Michael Frenkel - Chair of Macroeconomics and International Economics
- Professor Dr. Fabiola H. Gerpott - Chair of Leadership
- Professor Dr. Martin Glaum - Chair of International Accounting
- Professor Dr. Christina Günther - IHK-Chair of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises
- Professor Dr. Christian Hagist - Chair of Economic and Social Policy
- Professor Dr. Walter Herzog - Chair of Market Research
- Professor Dr. Christoph Hienerth - Chair of Entrepreneurship and New Business Development
- Professor Dr. Arnd Huchzermeier - Chair of Production Management
- Professor Dr. Martin Jacob - adidas Chair of Finance, Accounting and Taxation
- Professor Dr. Ove Jensen - Chair of Sales Management and Business-to-Business Marketing
- Professor Dr. Lutz Johanning - Chair of Empirical Capital Market Research
- Professor Dr. Peter-J. Jost - Chair of Organizational Theory
- Professor Dr. Nadine Kammerlander - Chair of Family Business
- Professor Dr. Ayse Karaevli - Chair of Corporate Management and Change
- Professor Dr. Lutz Kaufmann - Chair of International Business & Supply Management I
- Professor Dr. Jane Lê - Chair of Strategic Management
- Professor Dr. Garen Markarian - Chair of Financial Accounting
- Professor Dr. Michael Massmann - Chair of Econometrics and Statistics
- Professor Dr. Miriam Müthel - Chair of Organizational Behavior
- Professor Dr. Serden Ozcan - Chair of Innovation and Corporate Transformation
- Professor Dr. Felix Reimann - Chair of International Business and Supply Management II
- Professor Dr. Marko Reimer - Institute of Management Accounting and Control
- Professor Dr. Markus Rudolf - Allianz Endowed Chair of Finance
- Professor Dr. Utz Schäffer - Chair of Management Accounting and Control
- Professor Dr. Christian Schlereth - Chair of Digital Marketing
- Professor Dr. Sascha L. Schmidt - Center for Sports and Management
- Professor Dr. Liji Shen - Chair of Operations Management
- Professor Dr. Stefan Spinler - Chair of Logistics Management
- Professor Dr. Arne Strauss - Mercator Endowed Chair of Sustainable Urban Transport
- Professor Dr. Tillmann Wagner - Chair of Services Marketing
- Professor Dr. Carl Marcus Wallenburg - Chair of Logistics and Services Management
- Professor Dr. Mei Wang - Chair of Behavioral Finance
- Professor Dr. Jürgen Weigand - Institute for Industrial Organization
- Professor Dr. B. Burcin Yurtoglu - Chair of Corporate Finance
Since 2007, Assistant Professors have been welcomed into the WHU faculty to support outstanding young researchers in the early stages of their career. Employed for a duration of 6 years, Assistant Professors gain valuable teaching experience while conducting their own research, embedding themselves in the esteemed WHU network:
- Assistant Professor Dr. Kathleen Andries
- Assistant Professor Dr. Marjolein Buisman
- Assistant Professor Dr. Irina Heimbach
- Assistant Professor Dr. Lukas Löhlein
- Assistant Professor Dr. Jiachun Lu
- Assistant Professor Dr. Magdalena Pisa
- Assistant Professor Dr. Martin Prause
- Assistant Professor Dr. Rainer Michael Rilke
- Assistant Professor Dr. Nic Schaub
- Assistant Professor Dr. Daniel Schaupp
- Assistant Professor Dr. Dominik Schreyer
- Assistant Professor Dr. Sebastian Seidens
- Assistant Professor Dr. Elena Shvartsman
- Assistant Professor Dr. Victor van Pelt
In addition to WHU’s full time faculty, some members have a joint appointment with another university. While their main position remains at the other institution, part of their annual teaching takes place at WHU, as well as elements of their research activities – often in conjunction with WHU faculty members:
Academics that still teach at WHU regularly can adopt the title of “Außerplanmäßige” Professor (Apl. Prof.) if they have completed their habilitation or have received a positive evaluation at the end of their time as an Assistant Professor:
WHU takes great pride and value in the quality of its faculty. With the title of Honorary Professor, WHU awards individuals who demonstrate extraordinary scientific or professional achievements and who, as individuals, maintain a high degree of importance in the wider corporate or academic world.
Honorary Professors are part of a long-term relationship with WHU, dedicating their professional life to the continued excellence of the school. During the 30-year history of the school, 18 esteemed individuals bear the title “Honorary Professor of WHU”:
- Honorary Professor Dr. Paul Achleitner
- Honorary Professor Dr. Horst Albach *
- Honorary Professor David B. Audretsch, Ph.D.
- Honorary Professor Dr. Andreas Barckow
- Honorary Professor Dr. Dr. h. c. mult. Klaus Brockhoff *
- Honorary Professor Dr. Horst G. Carus *
- Honorary Professor Dr. Edgar Ernst
- Honorary Professor Dr. Karl Kley
- Honorary Professor Dr. Hartmut Leser
- Honorary Professor Dr. Edgar Löw
- Honorary Professor Dr. Peter May
- Honorary Professor Dr. Bolko von Oetinger
- Honorary Professor Dr. John Onto *
- Honorary Professor Dr. Jürgen Ringbeck
- Honorary Professor Dr. rer. pol. em. Klaus Rose *
- Honorary Professor Dr. Hanno Sowade
- Honorary Professor Dr. Axel Wieandt
* Holds no more lectures.
- Professor Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Jaakko Honko (†)
- Professor Dr. h.c. mult. Donald Jacobs (†)
- Professor Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Peter Mertens
- Professor Dr. Dr. h.c. Dieter Ordelheide (†)
- Professor Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Paul Riebel (†)
- Dr. h.c. Nikolaus Schweickart
- Professor Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Pierre Tabatoni (†)
- Professor Dr. Dr. h.c. Carl Zimmerer (†)
- Professor Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Erich Greipl (†)
- Professor Dr. Dr. h.c. Otto Beisheim (†)
- Dr. h.c. Albrecht Deyhle
- Professor Dr. h.c. Klaus-Michael Kühne
- Dr. h.c. Hans-Joachim Spittler (†)
- Professor Dr. Dr. h.c. Reinhard H. Schmidt
Academic groups at WHU –
Provoking innovative research.
A unique collaborative approach to research throughout the school strengthens WHU’s contribution to the academic community. Our faculty unite across fields of expertise in Groups to share their knowledge, practices, and innovative ideas, continually advancing the school’s influence in leading business research.
The Economics Group connects chairs from across WHU to generate collaboration between experts in the field. Comprised of leading academics from both WHU and external institutions, the Group organizes the Research Seminar in Economics, creating the opportunity for economics experts to present their work to the wider community.
Entrepreneurship & Innovation
The Entrepreneurship & Innovation Group is part of a prosperous partnership with the Center for Research in Innovation & Technology at Kellogg School of Management. The partnership serves as a platform for innovation and collaboration around the world to share information and transform it in practice.
Finance & Accounting
Bringing together independent chairs around WHU, the Finance and Accounting Group leverages synergies across related fields and coordinates teaching around the school. The Group also maintains the Center for Private Banking and the Financial Accounting & Tax Center, generating resources for financial researchers and decision-makers.
Leadership, management, and behaviour unite under the Management Group at WHU. Understanding an organization’s challenges, structure, and motivations can be the defining factor between successful and frustration. The Management Group supports independent chairs across the school in their continued research into the complexities behind organizational behaviour.
Marketing & Sales
The Marketing and Sales Group maintains an active presence in the scientific community through its publications, business engagement, and outstanding teaching. Bridging the gap between academia and managerial practice, the Group provides executive education courses, organizes seminars for the dissemination of research, and models its teaching to ensure students will thrive in real-world business scenarios.
Supply Chain Management
Recognized for its top position in supply chain management research, WHU was ranked 6th in a global comparison of universities producing empirical supply chain management (SCM) research by the 2019 SCM Journal List. As the highest-ranked SCM research institution outside the United States, the Supply Chain Management Group is leading cutting-edge research around the school’s associated chairs.